Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I dont know where we are going now...







My last few days in Courch have been phenomenal. The valley rally was followed by a splendid night out on Friday. My friends and staff organized a going away party for me on Friday night. It consisted of going to the Refuge, my favorite bar in 1850 as well as the Funky Fox to see Bring Your Sisters, arguably one of the best bands ever to hit a stage. Our goggle beards were flaunted. Tears were shed. Clothes were taken off. Pints were dropped. Shit was chatted. Reminiscing took place. Jaegers were drunk. Bombs were drunk. The night also consisted of me being crowd surfed, something I swore I would never ever do. There is nothing scarier than being carted through a bar by a bunch of pissed Brits. On the bus ride home everyone felt it pertinent to take the piss out of me and talk in ridiculous American accents. My staff has requested that I record the standard pep talks that I give them before service every night so that they can replay them each evening when I am not here.

The remaining days consisted of me sharing a piece of my mind with my resort manager, our 9th chef walking out of the kitchen, and more chocolate and baguettes being consumed.

On Monday before I headed for Geneva, we all went for hot chocolates at the Bar Le Schuss and watched the world go by. It was hard for me to comprehend that would be the last hot chocolate I would have from there in a while. I promised myself that I would be back again to have another hot chocolate.

Now that this amazing ride is over, I cant help but relate to Dakota, the Sterophonics song. I remember watching them perform live on the piste in Ischgl two years ago. Never did I think that their song would resonate through my mind years late. The song seems fitting for me right now. My Operation Magpie has been cut short by a few weeks. Although I have completed far more and achieved more in this season than I ever imagined, I am still not 100% ready to part with Courchevel and the life I have created for myself here in Courch. There is so much I am going to miss.

I will miss my backyard. I will miss the mountain air. I will miss waiting outside of the grocery store at 7.30am in an attempt to buy the missing cheese and ham that did not arrive in our deliveries. I will miss the bitching and moaning that resonated from our room every morning when the alarm went off. I will miss the ability to blame all problems and issues on the altitude. I will miss my lova Emma. I will miss my pain au chocolats. I will miss opening the windows every morning and being greeted by the majestic mountains. I will miss the feeling that overcame me every time I was able to tell guests that I live here, this is my life. I will miss being able to call Roth and telling him to get his prosciutto buns over to shred the pow with me. I will miss my Sandwich Pecheurs. I will miss my staff. I will miss the excitement that I felt everyday when I rode the bubble up to the mountain. I will miss Franks. I will miss laying in bed with Emma and stuffing our faces while we watched Sex and the City for the umtienth time. I will the feeling of utter peace after blowing off steam on a fresh powder day. I will miss the moment when I came to the realization that I understood everything that was said to me in French. I will miss being the only girl who could hang with and keep up with the 12 boys who let me infiltrate their ski circle. I will miss people taking the piss at my accent.I will miss my new friends that I have made. I will miss sitting on the lifts and yelling at the "gay bladders" below. I will miss seeing the look on peoples faces when I tell them that I am in fact not Canadian, but half American. I will miss being able to tell people on ski lifts that I am in fact a Seasonaire. I will miss getting up at 4am on transfer days. I will miss sitting outside at the Bar Le Schuss whilst drinking espressos and watching the world around me. I will miss having the luxury of being able to decide everyday whether it was worth skiing or staying in bed reading a book.

I will miss the numerous times that I reminded myself that this was the best decision I have ever made in my life.

The list is endless. Operation Magpie was more than a success. This experience is something that I will never be able to justify with words.

As the song goes, "I dont know where we are going now." I have no plan. It seems to have worked for me so far so I think I will just go with it.

See you next year Courch...

http://picasaweb.google.com/ohalfen/LastDays#

No comments:

Post a Comment