Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I cant be bothered...



Everyone knows that I have been cultivating my affinity for the Brits for quite sometime now. I blame my love on Nat who made me aware of their amazingness. Their self- deprecating humour, their sayings, and their overall view of life has always taken a hold of me. After having spent 2 months with the Brits, my affinity has increased two-fold. I have taken a liking to all of their sayings. The first time I heard someone say that they could 'not be bothered' to get up and take a shower I could not help but think to myself that I was dealing with a high maintenance twat. I now use the same phrase for things I don't feel like doing. When I explained to them that I fancied this phrase, they were flabbergasted that we Americans do not use the same phrase. When asked what we say instead, all I could think of was, "I dont feel like..." They were definitely not impressed by our version of the phrase and felt as though theirs was and is superior. I have to say that I agree wholeheartedly. Another favorite of mine is 'twat'. The first time I heard it used, I almost peed myself. I think this stems from the fact that it is said so emphatically and when used to describe some of our guests when they are in close proximity is absolutely fabulous. My third favorite saying, and trust me, the list is long, is when someone says they 'pulled' the night before. Again, when I tried to explain to them that we say, ' I got on' so and so, they looked at me with disgust and were utterly displeased.

Apparently I have an accent. I find that quite humorous because I am NOT the one with the accent, they are. My sayings have become the butt of many jokes. All in good humour of course. This morning, after having rocked out my granny ass to the "Bring Your Sisters" renditions of 'Fans' and MGMTs 'Kids' at the bar until 4 am, I looked and felt like everything short of magnificent. I walked down to breakfast and made a passing comment about how I was a hot mess the night before, and am currently still a hot mess. This phrase has now been my contribution to the pot and they are all loving it. I have also started saying such annoying things as," Lets go shred the pow pow," because they seem to think that all Americans speak like that and I am all about perpetuating the stereotypes.

PS. I also drink tea with milk now even though I found it repulsive two months ago.

My point to all this babble is that I am still in love. I love my team and everything I am learning from them. They are all brilliant. They all manage to get absolutely pissed (wasted) every night and yet they still perform above par every day. I am also loving my job more. From the beginning all the veteran seasonaires had informed me that the first three weeks are hell and that it gets better from there. They are right. The first three weeks were unreal. I felt like I was bipolar because I would threaten to quit several times a day. As I explained, everything that could have gone wrong did. We lucked out and ended up with the absolute worst guests anyone could ask for. It was utter hell. I feel as though everything has done a 180 now.

I am more in love with Courchevel than I thought I ever could be. I know my way around, I know all the locals, I know the mountains. The halfway point of the season is fast approaching and I am not looking forward to this entire ride being over. I am working on finding a way to make this lifestyle semi-permanent. If anyone has any input, I am all ears.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment