Tuesday, December 1, 2009

You Alright???






It has taken me over a week to figure out the words that have been directed towards me daily. The first couple of times I heard this I could not even understand what people were saying to me due to their heavy accents, or my ignorance. I could merely respond by smiling whilst trying to mumble something in response. The following days, I responded by taking a look at myself and wondering whether I really did look that destroyed. However, one I finally figured out what was being asked, I was forced to become a bit insecure and wondered what portion of my Americaness was leaking through. By the time I finally realized what I was being asked, I was forced to ...

On Saturday, our last night in Chamonix, we were treated to a Gala dinner. We had been fed extremely well for the breakfast, lunch, and dinner during our entire stay. Alternatively, this dinner was even more exquisite. Before dinner we had an awards ceremony during which each of us had to present someone with an award. I was presented with the "Keenest Skier Award" as it was determined that I had traveled the farthest for fresh pow pow. I presented the "Honorary German Award" to someone. Apparently the UK stereotype of Germans is that they are always hungry and always manage to make sure they arrive at a buffet before everyone else. Fortunately, I was able to uphold this stereotype during my entire stay in Chamonix.

I am not in Courchevel yet. I am currently in Les Arcs and will be here until Monday. I am looking forward to arriving at my new 'home' so that I can finally refrain from living out of my suitcase. When I arrived here on Sunday it was warm and barren. It started dumping on Monday morning and it has not stopped. It has now become my winter wonderland. I am in heaven.

As soon as I arrived, I was greeted by my staff. Yes, I said staff. Staff. Staff. Staff. Staff. Staff. I am a boss and boy do I know what I am doing. Yes, I will be running a 77 person Chalet with 8 minions who are all under the age of 22. Super duper. In all fairness, my team is absolutely amazing and I could not have been blessed with a better group of kids. I have been told that I cant refer to them or any of the 'kids' who come on our holidays as kids are baby goats and thus should be referred to as children. Blah. Regardless I love my staff and I can tell that they are all devoted to working their asses off. Hopefully I can figure out what the hell my role is and all I need to know within the next week otherwise we might as well close up shop right now.

We start at 7 am in the morning and end at about 9PM at night after which I promptly proceed to my sleeping quarters. I am sharing a room with Jo, an 18 year old savant from England. I adore her.

Once our clients arrive, we will be serving them four course dinners. Hence, my team has been demoing the meals all week long. Thus, we have been eating four course meals for lunch and dinner. I never thought I would say this, but if I don't see another parfait or cheese bajhas, I wont complain.

Les Arcs is absolutely amazing. We are up in the mountains and all you see are mountains. I have included some pictures of the view from my balcony as well as my group of kids. Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment